Thursday 14 June 2012

Fear, loathing in Tel Aviv as racial tensions soar

AFP - Day or night, rain or shine, small groups of African migrants can be found dotting the lawns of Levinsky Park in a rundown area of south Tel Aviv where hundreds of Israelis rioted in protest against them.
"I have fled war and violence in Sudan and now I'm here on the street in constant fear that the police will check me," 29-year-old Abdul Abed Abdullah tells AFP.
"I have no hope and there's no work," he says, dressed in a white shirt and jeans. "I dream of America."
Three years ago, he sneaked across the border from the Egyptian Sinai into Israel where the comparatively high standard of living makes it a tempting destination for those willing to risk everything for a better life.
Like others who have made the long and dangerous journey, he was guided through the lawless Sinai peninsula by Bedouin smugglers to whom he paid $1,000 (794 euros). Read more

No comments: